Kihansi Hydro Plant is located along the Udzungwa escarpment about 200 km by road southwest of the Kidatu Power Plant. Kihansi Power Plant is arun-off-the-river type. The topographic feature permits the economic development of a hydro plant by providing the high head needed for a relatively low flow.
A low concrete gravity dam diverts the river flow into a vertical unlined intake shaft, 500 m deep. The shaft connects to a unlined headrace tunnel sloping at 1:7 down to the steel penstock.
The excavated cavern (power house) in the mountain has 3 units driven by Pelton turbines each with a generation capacity of 60 MW, making a total of 180 MW. The turbine discharged water is evacuated through a tailrace tunnel and an open-cut canal into the existing Kilombero river system.
Our Business goals and Objectives
- Improvement of plant safety and performance
- Improve communication and enhance IT
- Improve and enhance teamwork
- Improve staff performance
- Ensure continuous manpower development
- Strive to minimize environment destruction