The emergency desk is there to ensure customer safety and supply continuity. When a fault occurs for power failure at your premise the emergency desk is responsible in clearing the fault and restoring power in the shortest time possible.
The information below briefly gives you the guidelines, on establishing whether the failure/fault is related to TANESCO power supply interruptions or it is an internal fault to be referred to your electrician.
WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE IN CASE OF POWER FAILURE?
CASE I: POWER FAILURE INVOLVING MORE THAN ONE HOUSE
Report to TANESCO emergency desk straight away
CASE II: POWER FAILURE ONLY AT YOUR HOUSE.
- Tripped earth leakage circuit breaker ELCB (fault is internal)
- Open circuit on the overhead incoming mains line (fault is external)
Steps to take:
- If you are using a LUKU meter check to confirm if there is credit, incase you don’t have credit, recharge your meter. If you have credits in your meter then follow the second step below.
- Confirm whether the fault is internal (caused by the short circuit in the wiring system in the house or domestic electrical appliance) or external (caused by something outside the house wiring system).
How to trace the fault?
- Check the status of the main switch. In case you find it OFF, look around your household to confirm that switching it ON will not harm anybody because a member in your household may have switched it OFF for safety reasons. Then if it is safe, switch it ON.
- If after switching the main switch ON you don’t get power, check the position of the Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (ELCB).
- If is in ON, but NO power in the house, the problem should be external, call TANESCO emergency desk.
- If it is in the OFF make sure you switch it ON.
- In case after switching the ELCB ON it trips back to OFF, this indicates the problem is within your house (the problem is internal it may be caused by a short circuit in your house).Switch the Main switch OFF and call a qualified electrician to fix the problem.
- Incase you switch ON (ELCB) and it does not trip.
- Is power restored? If YES, then the cause of power failure was internal and it was merely a temporary one
- If NO, switch OFF the main switch and report to TANESCO emergency desk.